CNET, those experts of all things tech, reviewed the 2014 Equus Ultimate for their Car Tech section. They were impressed, giving the Equus high marks for its unique advanced technology features.
ELEMENTS OF EQUUS
The Equus is powered by a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) 429-horsepower* V8 engine. The advanced 8-speed automatic transmission delivers smooth power. And a well-balanced, rear-wheel-drive layout gives Equus the foundation to perform less like a traditional luxury car and more like a high-performance sport sedan.
*Based on premium fuel.
8-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
This high-performance transmission with precise gear ratios and lightweight components, in automatic or SHIFTRONIC® manual-shift mode, has the capability to achieve torque converter lock-up above first gear, which increases fuel efficiency and responsiveness.
CONTINUOUS DAMPING CONTROL (CDC)
Much more sophisticated than typical shocks, CDC noticeably increases ride comfort and overall driving dynamics at the same time. It minimizes body roll and makes acceleration and deceleration stable, steady and smooth. Like a more high-performance feel? Select Sport mode for a firm, more responsive ride.
ELECTRONICALLY-CONTROLLED AIR SUSPENSION
An available upgrade on the Lexus LS 460, Electronically-controlled Air Suspension (EAS) is standard on the Equus. This system helps maintain consistent vehicle height and pitch regardless of load and road conditions, resulting in a consistent, comfortable ride.
- Rear-wheel drive
- Front suspension: Multi-link (5 link)
- Rear suspension: Multi-link (5 link)
- Body construction: Unibody
- Electronically-controlled Air Suspension (EAS)
- Ventilated solid disc brakes, front and rear
- 8-speed automatic transmission
- 429-hp GDI V8 engine
- Continuous Damping Control (CDC)
SETTING A NEW STANDARD
Starting with the redesigned front bumper and revised grille, deliberate lines continue from the hood through the body to showcase the staggered-width 19-inch multi-spoke wheels. HID headlights with LED turn-signal indicators and sculpted front LED fog lights further set the Equus apart from a field of conventional rivals.
MULTI-VIEW CAMERA SYSTEM
A forward-view cornering camera, rearview camera and cameras mounted under each side mirror provide a 360-degree view around the car. The wide-angle image is displayed on the central in-dash navigation screen at low parking speeds, then switches back to the navigation mode at higher driving speeds.
Equus has been engineered for performance from the ground up. 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels with staggered-width performance tires (P245/45R19 in front and P275/40R19 in the rear) not only give the Equus a formidable look, but ensure superior handling.
ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM (AFLS)
By turning with the vehicle’s steering angle, AFLS offers maximum illumination for upcoming curves and intersections. The sophisticated auto-leveling headlights also keep light parallel to the road surface regardless of vehicle load. So the driver enjoys maximum illumination and light coverage at all times.
- HID Xenon headlights with LED accents
- LED front fog lights
- Proximity Key entry
- 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
- Dual power-folding heated side mirrors with turn-signal indicators and approach lights
- Electronically-controlled Air Suspension (EAS)
- Acoustic-laminated windshield and front side glass
- Multi-view Camera System with rearview camera, forward-view cornering camera and side-view cameras
Leather everything. Microfiber suede headliner. Premium wood trim. A premium navigation system. 598-watt Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Surround Sound Audio System. Plus a 12-way power-adjustable driver seat that is both heated and cooled. The Equus—a new kind of luxury.
Starting with 17 speakers, standard, the Lexicon 7.1 Discrete Surround Sound Audio System includes a digital amplifier that produces 598 watts of distortion-free music. It also has SiriusXM Satellite Radio, HD Radio™ technology, and iPod®/USB and auxiliary input jacks.
The 9.2-inch display screen is the Driver Information System (DIS) and navigation interface. The large, easy-to-read screen makes navigation a snap with full map functions and a simple, comprehensive interface. While on the road, NavTraffic keeps you apprised of congestion along your planned route.
BEST SEAT EVER
The 12-way power-adjustable driver seat is heated and cooled. Seat height, rake, seatback recline and seat cushion adjustments are easily controlled from the upper door panel that memorizes the preferences of multiple drivers.
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Heated wood-trimmed leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Integrated Memory System (IMS) for driver seat, exterior mirrors and steering wheel
- Electroluminescent Gauge Cluster with 7-inch TFT LCD screen or available 12.3-inch TFT LCD screen
- Navigation system with DIS Multimedia Controller and 9.2-inch touchscreen
- Power rear seats
- Available cooled rear seats
- Available rear-seat entertainment system with dual 9.2-inch monitors
TAKING SAFETY TO A NEW LEVEL
Hyundai has always been committed to safety. Equus advances this tradition with nine airbags, reinforced unibody construction and an entire Vehicle Stability Management system (VSM). Plus Assurance Connected Care powered by Blue Link® that features Automatic Collision Notification and Assistance.
LANE DEPARTURE WARNING SYSTEM
The Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) alerts drivers of unintended lane changes. Audible, visual and haptic warnings are triggered to restore the driver's attention in cases where the car drifts or changes lanes without using a turn signal.
SMART CRUISE CONTROL (SCC) WITH STOP/START FUNCTIONALITY
The driver sets a following distance. Radar detects the distance and speed of vehicles in front of you, and accelerates or brakes to help maintain the driver-selected distance. If the vehicle ahead stops, the driver does not need to brake, the vehicle will automatically come to a complete stop and restart if the vehicle ahead starts within 3 seconds.
VEHICLE STABILITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (VSM)
VSM optimizes the function of all active and passive safety features. VSM incorporates ESC, TCS, ABS, EBD, Brake Assist (BA) and a Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS). The comprehensive Vehicle Stability Management system links and prepares all safety systems in potential collision situations.
- 9 airbags
- Assurance Connected Care—Included for 3 years
- Vehicle Stability Management system (VSM)
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- 4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) with stop/start functionality